Donald R. Sobey Award
About the Award
The Donald R. Sobey Award is a $2,500 renewable award available to students entering NSCC on a full-time basis. It was established through a $4-million gift from the Donald R. Sobey Foundation.
The Award is designed to:
- Encourage and assist students in obtaining potentially life-changing education
- Support students in strengthening their skills so they can secure meaningful employment
- Help students become role models in their communities
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be referred by a community organization or law enforcement agency
- Be planning to enrol in a full-time program at the College (Applicants already enrolled in a core program at NSCC are not eligible to apply)
- Have unmet financial need
How to apply
- Download the Donald R. Sobey Award Application (PDF 227kB)
- Applicants who do not have access to a computer/printer can contact their community group or agency or the College to pick up an application in person.
- Complete and submit the application to the community group or agency that has referred you. A representative will then complete their section of the application and submit it to the College on your behalf.
Award selection criteria
A review committee will review the application and consider the following:
- Your financial situation and other reasons you should be considered for the award
- The supports you have in place with your referring organization, and how they will help you in achieving your education and career goals
- Be sure to include as much information in the budget section as possible. A completed application should include some applicant resources to demonstrate what funding can bridge the gap between what the award can provide and the costs of attending College.
- Make sure to review your budget to ensure the expenses and resources are as accurate as possible. A breakdown of College costs can be found at nscc.ca/fees.
- Use the section that follows the budget to provide more details about your financial circumstances. Let us know what barriers you face and how the award can help you.
For community agency references
We want to ensure that community agencies are invested in the applicant’s potential to succeed at College. While there is no standard formula to assess this, the following are some themes to consider when completing your reference:
- What type of relationship does the applicant have with your agency?
- What role will your agency play in ensuring a successful transition to College for the applicant?
- Does the applicant demonstrate indicators for success as a College student?
- Will your agency help the applicant make a financial plan to attend College or refer them to a professional who can?