A. Urgent Aid - Pictou Campus
About Urgent AidUrgent Aid (UA) funding is available to help current NSCC students who encounter an unanticipated financial challenge that may negatively impact their ability to successfully complete their education. Supports available through UA may include grocery gift cards, taxi chits/bus tickets, cheques or electronic fund transfers, dependent on the expressed need.
To be eligible to apply for Urgent Aid, students must:
- Be enrolled and actively taking courses, either full or part time, in a program leading to an NSCC credential. This also includes the Adult Learning Program (ALP).
- Be experiencing an unanticipated financial challenge.
- Have exhausted all other funding resources and opportunities, including government loans, student awards, etc.
- Have a completed, up to date, budget in the Student Awards Portal.
- Be demonstrating commitment to their education through regular attendance and completion of course requirements.
Exclusions:Urgent Aid is not typically granted to support the following types of requests:
- Payment of tuition or fees assessed by NSCC. Tuition and fees associated with a student’s program is not an unanticipated expense; it is well documented on our tuition and fees page and therefore does not align with the intention of Urgent Aid funding.
- Expenses related to the financial concerns of others (family, friends, etc).
- Requests to cover cash flow difficulties that can be mitigated through other means (i.e. tuition fee deferrals, payment plans, book credits, etc).
Application ProcessThe application process is outlined for students in the Student Awards Portal.
For more information including application tips, visit the Applying for Urgent Aid section of the Help Centre.