NSCC Post-Care Free Tuition Bursary Program
This bursary program, generously supported by the Walker Wood Foundation and individual donors, has been established to support those who have lived in care in the Nova Scotia child welfare system — including Mi’kmaw Family and Children’s Services of Nova Scotia — or have been in receipt of services through the Department of Community Services, Services for Youth Program. This bursary will be applied towards tuition costs and ancillary fees for full- or part-time learning, with an aim to help make post-secondary education more accessible for former youth in care.
About the Award
- Have lived in care for a minimum of one year (cumulative or accumulated) in the Nova Scotia child welfare system — including Mi’kmaw Family and Children’s Services of Nova Scotia — as defined by the Children and Family Services Act, 2017; or have been in receipt of services through the Department of Community Services, Youth Services Program
- Consent to a Release of Information for verification process with Nova Scotia Community Services
- Entering or planning to enrol in first post-secondary credential in the 2021-22 academic year (e.g. certificate, diploma, or degree) in a program with tuition and associated fees
- Willing to meet with Student Awards staff to explore other sources of funding and complete an orientation to NSCC
- Not currently be in receipt of the NS Department of Community Services’ Educational Bursary Program for Children in Care or the Post-Care and Custody Agreement
- Complete an application — including an Educational/Academic Plan and a Financial Need Statement and provide documentation to support any other extenuating circumstances to assist in determining eligibility
How We ChooseApplications are reviewed by a selection committee. When reviewing applications, the committee will consider the following:
- Your financial need;
- Your educational goals, career aspirations and how this bursary can help you attain them.
To Apply for This AwardIf you are confirmed in a program that begins in the upcoming academic year, you can apply for the bursary through NSCC’s Student Awards Portal at studentawards.nscc.ca. Login using your NSCC credentials, complete the user tasks, search for the bursary and submit your application before the
If you plan to attend NSCC in the upcoming academic year but have not yet applied, you can fill out the PDF application and submit it to NSCC’s Student Awards Office by emailing email@example.com or faxing 902-491-2259.
Number of Awards
Up to 10**Note: Value of award is up to 100% of tuition and fees and is limited to regular certificate/diploma tuition rates. Additionally, students eligible for renewal of this support will taken from the overall disbursement total.
For application related questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org